How happy I am to report that on this, the fifth day of DJ's NOT taking the chemotherapy study drug "TAS-102", he seems to be incrementally emerging from chemo sadness. He is on the "minimal", baseline dosage of prescription pain medicines (which is still fairly high, but much less than what we've pumped into his body the past two weeks since this first cycle began), he still has spent most of his time on the couch - but he has spoken some words today! And he has remained awake for the entire day! And his face looks more peaceful and less agonized to me. This makes me very happy! I hope and pray and intend that every day that passes from now until September 10 (when cycle number two is scheduled to commence) will bring about an improvement in DJ's health and well-being, a lessening of the pain and the nausea, an increase in his energy, as the chemotherapy exits his body. (Chemotherapy drugs are "great" for getting rid of cancer, but they are not so great at causing a person to feel good. Such a double-edged sword.)
If you recall, and if you care :-), the study drug TAS-102 is administered in the following manner: 5 days on, 2 days off, 5 days on, 14 days off. That is equal to one full cycle. The fourteen days off is where we are now, and I am grateful for it! It makes me think of the moments between contractions when a woman is in labor: a short time of no pain with which to catch one's breath and get brave for the next one. I am happy that he is assigned two entire weeks of not taking the drug! (And, of course, I hope that the drug is doing its job of kicking cancer to the curb.)
Thank you for loving us! Thank you for praying for us! I am humbled and grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment