August 13, 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for loving us.  :-)  

DJ consulted last week with Dr. Rosen at the UCLA to explore the possibility of his taking part in a clinical trial with the drug "TAS-102".  The UCLA is approximately 4 hours south of Paso Robles, and we chose for me to stay at home to work and "hold down the fort".  I am grateful for Joey Benyo, who drove DJ, and for Bob and Joyce Johnson, who accommodated DJ and Joey overnight (so that they would not need to leave at 5:00 am on Thursday for a 9:30 am appointment - DJ does not enjoy the early morning hours of the day).

Dr. Rosen took blood and urine samples and ran another CT scan on DJ to determine DJ's eligibility in the trial.  As far as I understand it, Dr. Rosen is performing a Phase 1 trial of TAS-102 to determine its effects on persons with liver and/or kidney failure; and he needs a few persons with good liver and kidney function as part of the study.  DJ is one of the those.  :-)  Also, that no placebo is being given - each participant will indeed receive the drug. 

We were informed early this week that DJ is accepted into the trial, and he begins today - in less than an hour, to be precise.  The drug is administered orally (rather than intravenously - which makes DJ happy), in a 5-days-on, 2-days-off, 5-days on, 14-days-off cycle.  I believe that after two cycles, DJ will be scanned again and re-assessed before continuing.

So today's appointment is day #1 of the cycle, and he will remain in the clinic for at least 12 hours, beginning at 7:00 am.  As I understand it, DJ will be given the drug, and then blood will be drawn at 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours, and 12 hours.  It's a scientific study, so lots of observation and exploration occurs, I guess.  He will come home to take the drug for days 2-5, not take the drug for days 6 and 7, and take the drug for days 8-11.  He will return to the clinic for the same 12-hour blood draw and observation for day #12. 

I am super grateful for our friend Jerel Haley who rearranged his schedule to transport DJ last night; they slept over in Agoura again at the Johnson Hotel :-), in order to have a minimal drive this morning.  I guess that they are en route to Santa Monica at this moment.  And Jerel will hang with DJ for his 12-hour appointment in my stead, as I attend work and manage the household.  We are blessed beyond measure with such love and support from ya'all.  :-)

I am choosing to believe that the LORD will grant the fullest measure of health and healing to DJ's body.  I thank you for your continued prayers on our behalf, and especially for mercy on DJ.  His pain is often high.

Happy Thursday!  xoxoxo from HollyB



 

3 comments:

anita said...

I am so glad I checked your blog this morning. Will send this out to friends and we are praying for DJ and for you today! God is faithful! Let us know if you have needs here in the future. We love you guys
Anita

Jane Gordon said...

Praying for this new drug to be a miracle! We love you all and know that through it all God is lovingly in control. Keep your posts coming -- we appreciate knowing (and thus praying) about DJ, you, and the rest of your sweet family. xoxoxoxo....Jane

HollyB said...

😀 Thank you, friends!!!