Today, DJ is six weeks post-op from his most recent rib resection - time flies when we're having fun! :-) And I am so grateful for the passage of time and for the regeneration of cells and for the healing that comes to a person's body by God's grace! Although he still experiences a small amount of post-surgical pain, he seems to be healing well from the surgery. Thank you very much for your prayers!
DJ and I visited on August 6 with the GI oncologist as well as with his surgeon at the UCSF, and both of these meetings were very insightful. Dr. Ko the GI oncologist reviewed with us DJ's history of colorectal cancer, treatments taken, and success rate. He is of the opinion that the chemotherapy treatments DJ has taken have not been effective at eliminating cancer from DJ's body; and that additional known chemotherapy cocktails are not proven to shrink tumors but are very harsh on the body. Therefore, weighing the "benefit" of killing microscopic cancer cells against the risk of diminishing the quality of DJ's life with harsh drugs, Dr. Ko did not prescribe chemotherapy. I had practically expected that DJ would be prescribed some sort of a chemotherapy regimen, so I was almost flabbergasted with that news; I am very pleasantly surprised!
DJ's surgeon Dr. Theodore is also of the opinion that aggressive chemotherapy treatment is not in DJ's best interest, but that problems should be taken care of as they arise. And I believe that Jesus is better than chemotherapy, so I am praying that cancer will never come back to DJ's body!
This past week on August 19, DJ and I returned to the UCSF Hellen Diller Cancer Center to have a chitchat with radiation oncologist Dr. Gottschalk; he and his resident Dr. Seymour were very informative. Here are a few photos:
Aren't these boring photographic images? No one (except my Selfie) agrees to be the subject of my journalistic efforts at the doctor's office, so I am reduced to taking pictures of random objects around the examination room. Sheesh. A little cooperation is all I ask.
Regarding the surgery site of DJ's chest wall out of which Dr. Theodore removed two ribs and a chunky-chunk of cancer: Dr. Gottschalk is happy to perform "fractionated radiation" in the hopes of burning away any microscopic residual malignancy. That will occur very soon, DJ hopes, and last for 5-10 (business) days. DJ has opted to move his treatment from our local SLO County to the UCSF, so he will travel to San Francisco for radiation treatment while the children and I remain in Paso Robles to work and to become educated. Perhaps he will sleep over at his parents' home in San Jose, perhaps he will commute. It will be all fine and dandy. We are grateful for the opportunity to receive treatment. I am SO very grateful for medical insurance. We are blessed beyond measure!
Regarding the two little lumpy-bumps near to his esophagus, detected in a PET/CT scan performed July 3: those little guys have not been biopsied, so it is not determined yet that they are certainly malignant; my guess is that it's highly likely they are cancer, since every other nodule that has presented itself in DJ's body on a PET or CT scan has eventually revealed itself to be cancer - but you never know! Perhaps they are merely inflammation due to all those x-rays and CT scans and PET scans and radioactive waves being passed through DJ. In any case, because almost 8 weeks of time have passed since that PET/CT scan on July 3, Dr. Gottschalk would like to have another look to see what may have transpired since then, before he takes action against the two nodules. Therefore, DJ is scheduled to return to the UCSF next Thursday August 28 to undergo a PET/CT scan, and he will also have an appointment for the initial measuring and preparation to take the fractionated radiation to the surgery site.
In the meantime, I am happy to have returned to a "normal" routine with the family - DJ is not able to work a 12-hour shift of patrol, but he is able to spend a few hours a day coaching volleyball (which he enjoys doing and which I am super grateful for - I think that it is fantastic physical therapy and mental and social stimulation for him as he recovers from surgery and waits for the next steps of treatment); I have returned to my job at Paso Robles High School, which I love; and the children began the 2014-2015 school year this past Wednesday.
![]() |
| Alexandra is an 11th-grader, Caedmon is a 4th-grader, and Brookelow is an 8th-grader. |
![]() | |
| The annual back-to-back, first-day-of-school photo; which was fun and exciting when they were small. Now they just sort of acquiesce for the sake of the mother. |
![]() |
| First day of school! I think I was the most excited one - because I love my job at PRHS! |
![]() |
| I love Caedmon and DJ. |
Psalm 147:11 - "The LORD delights in those who fear Him, who put their hope in His unfailing love."
Aaaaaa-men! Thank you for loving us!




1 comment:
I love those back to school photos!!
Post a Comment