I am happy to report that the medication cocktail administered to DJ through the night helped his pain to be better managed, which allowed him to sleep more deeply and for longer spells of time. As Mildred Crabtree would say, "He's not running races"; but as the day progressed the color returned to his face and he was intermittently responsive and napp-ish. More and more of the spiderweb of tubes and catheters were being removed and we took a slow walking lap around the ICU once before noon.
Does it seem rather random to you that, out of the blue (or rather, out of the gray fog), a San Francisco police officer whom we have never met should come find DJ and deliver him some donuts? The best part is that, after my utter and exemplary self-restraint every time I have seen a bald head in this building (and especially the lovely one of DJ's surgeon), Officer Thomas was happy to let me have a rub. Aaaaaaahh!
Officer Thomas came to us compliments of a co-worker of his who is the son of sweet friends of ours in Paso Robles. How loved and blessed we are! :-)
Just after noon, DJ was released from the ICU and transferred to a "regular" (I call it a Step-Down) room on this Cardiac, Thoracic, Vascular floor of the hospital. He has not eaten very much food at all, and he experienced a few hours of some digestive discomfort. I suppose that the waking up of one's systems after being shut down with anesthesia for a surgical procedure can be an ordeal. That seems to have alleviated itself for now.
![]() |
| No snide comments, please; this is TOP SECRET, CLASSIFIED information! |
DJ continues to rest and sleep when he can and to breathe as deeply as possible in order to keep his lung inflated and healthy. Once in a while, he feels the need to cough; that is very painful for him. He is doing as well as to be expected, I guess, for these 56 hours after undergoing a pneumonectomy.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my sister is nourishing herself with veggies-in-a-glass! What good, healthy choices! "An apple a day keeps the doctor away!" And good health is helpful for maintaining one's stamina while caring for one's sister's three children and household!
Thank you for loving us! The end, for now.




3 comments:
I am NOT making a snide comment, but I MUST MUST MUST make a comment. When DJ was a junior in high school on the basketball team, I giggled every time he made a shoot. He'd squat slightly and squooch his peachy butt back. I always wanted to stop and game and run out onto the court and pinch his poofy cheeks. I wonder if he would have married my daughter when he grew up if I had done that back in the day?
I am NOT making a snide comment, but I MUST MUST MUST make a comment. When DJ was a junior in high school on the basketball team, I giggled every time he made a shoot. He'd squat slightly and squooch his peachy butt back. I always wanted to stop and game and run out onto the court and pinch his poofy cheeks. I wonder if he would have married my daughter when he grew up if I had done that back in the day?
Oh my, miss Holly - so glad you found someone who would let you rub their bald head! I know how much you love that! And donuts for DJ - so cool! Glad to hear DJ is progressing well - we're continuing to pray! Xoxo
Love,
Joyce & Bob
Post a Comment