May 28, 2015

Not Problems - Possibilities!!

Hi, Friends!  I love and appreciate you!

There is not much new news to report concerning DJ's health and well-being: he continues to take the chemotherapy/targeted drug Stivarga in 28-day cycles (21 days on, 7 days off); he continues to take various medications to manage his pain; he continues to visit with Dr. Spillane the oncologist and to take a shot of the drug Xgeva once per month (which we did yesterday); he experiences various side affects and symptoms as result of his drugs, and his symptoms vary from day to day and from week to week.  Pain is a significant factor, as are digestive issues of several different types.  He continues to work more or less a 40-hour work week with "light duty" accommodations at the Paso Robles Police Department.  He continues to persevere with courage and fortitude.  It certainly feels like the "new normal" to me.  

DJ really doesn't prefer to be the subject of my photographic journalism efforts, as you may be aware.  So here is a snapshot of the backs of DJ and the nurse yesterday as she administered the Xgeva.  Not too exciting. But the nurse has cute pigtails!  :-)





As we visited with Dr. Spillane yesterday, I had a question formed in my mind to ask him: "Dr.Spillane, what is your intent with the current plan of treatment?  Do you intend that Stivarga and Xgeva will kill the cancer and that DJ will be cured?  Do you hope to maintain the cancer and keep it from growing any more, thereby expecting DJ to live with cancer and pain for the remainder of his days?  What do you foresee?"

But I did not ask this question.  On the one hand, at best the doctor only makes educated guesses as to DJ's prognosis.  And I'm sure that Dr. Spillane "intends" that DJ will be cured and live a long and happy life!  No matter what Dr. Spillane intends or foresees -  the Great Physician knows the number of DJ's days, and trusting God is the only way to go.  I will continue to live one day at a time, since that is all I am given, and to put my faith in God's power and presence and goodness and grace.  That is a happy way to live!

If you have the time and the inclination, may I suggest that you type "Graham Cooke, 'The Language of Heaven' " into a YouTube browser and take a listen?  This is a marvelous message which I LOVE!  Mr. Cooke suggests that, even though there are problems here on earth which we are always trying to solve, there are no problems in Heaven; and that Christ came to earth to teach us the language of Heaven.  He says, "In Christ, there are no problems, only possibilities - to experience the promises and the provision of God."  Isn't that delicious?  I love that!  

So I have decided to use my faith and my words to proclaim the possibilities that exist for us in Jesus Christ.  Possibilities like Psalm 118:17 - "I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the LORD has done."  And Psalm 27:13-14 - "I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.  Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD."

I do not intend to take these scriptures out of their proper context, nor to use them to claim something that does not belong to me.  But I do intend to saturate my soul in the words that will fuel my faith, and I do intend to put my hope fully and deeply in the beauty and the goodness of God, and I do intend to use my words to speak hope and life!  And I do intend to trust God, come what may.  "My times are in Your hands."  I am excited to see how God will provide for us, and I am humble and grateful for God's provision to this point!!

Alrightey then, that was a little part of Holly's heart. Now on to the children:

Brooke Bigelow was diagnosed with mononucleosis in early April, which I believe she had been experiencing for at least 6 weeks.  She seems to have recovered now from the fatigue and illness of that disease, except that her spleen did enlarge (apparently that is a side-effect of mono), and she has been experiencing pain in her side for a month or more.  Here is a photo of Brooke attempting to rest with her dog Bradley, while DJ attempted to tickle her.


Here is a photo of Brooke's softball team after they took first place at the San Luis Obispo tournament last weekend.  Brookelow sat in the dugout and cheered her team on to the victory, although the pain in her spleen kept her from playing.



For all you Benyo fans, here is a photo of Alexandra and Caedmon Van Bigelow swinging on the tire swing at the Benyo Ranch with Jeffrey and Ashley Benyo's son Greyson.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Gracious.  Does he look like his daddy, or WHAT?  :-)




Here is a photo of Caedmon Van Bigelow being silly with his friend Logan Jack Lewis.

Oh, I love this photo of DJ - he looks so alive and vibrant and happy!  He smiled for someone else's camera, not mine.  


Ai-yi-yi, how did this happen?  How did our firstborn child all of a sudden turn into a 16-year old young woman?  Here is a photo of DJ and Alexandra on the night of the Paso Robles High School Jr./Sr. prom, last month.



Alexandra was so happy to play the role of "Zaneeta" (Mayor Shin's daughter) in her drama company's recent production of "The Music Man."  She was very beautiful on stage!  Here is a photo of Alexandra as "Zaneeta", along with others of the "Teenage Girls", in the scene "Marian Librarian".
 
Here are some photos of Alex and "Tommy" dancing and singing.





Here is a photo of Alexandra and her fans after one of the productions of the show.


And that's what's shakin' for the time bein'.  

Next up: in two weeks' time, the children will be released from the 2014-2015 school year, and summer vacation will be upon them!  

Thank you for your prayers for us.  I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that your prayers are the administration of God's grace to us.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!


No comments: